Barbara Reade lives and paints close to the shoreline of Lake Ontario in Burlington, Ontario, Canada. At the heart of Barbara’s work is the endless inspiration that drives her to capture the emotional impact of the natural and urban landscape. Memories of places and experiences reveal themselves through abstraction, colour, mark-making and recurring themes in her artwork. Precise, directional lines intermingle with softer, free-flowing applications of paint, evoking order over chaos, architectural details merging into wildness, opacity next to translucent washes of colour. Barbara’s paintings undergo several transformations along the way, with numerous layers of paint, monotype prints, collage elements, graphite, and wax pastels creating a rich history on the surface. Layers are sanded away to create surprising textures and reveal the underpainting beneath.
Barbara’s artistic career has come full circle after many rewarding years in education and as a retail business owner. She drew constantly as a child, going on to pursue her passion for art by completing her BFA in Illustration at Parsons School of Design in New York City. Barbara continues to hone her skills and develop as an artist, completing Nicholas Wilton’s intensive Art2Life Creative Visionary Program, Mark Eanes’ the Language of Colour Workshop, and currently as an active member of the Art2Life Academy. Barbara is also a member of the Burlington Fine Arts Association.
- “Two Lovers Sat On A Park Bench” will be featured in the July print and digital issues of Conde Nast: House & Garden UK
- Private collections in Canada and the USA
- Works currently being exhibited at C’est La Vie Wellness in Oakville, the Office of Honourable Karina Gould, Martin and Hillyer Associates and MOVE Studio in Burlington
- Annual Art Auction, April 2021, Dundas Valley School of Art
- BFAA Artist’s Choice, Online Exhibition, March 8-March 31
- Propeller Gallery’s 25th Anniversary SALON 15 EXHIBITION, March 10-April 3
- Accepted into the Dundas Studio Tour and Art in Action Burlington Studio Tour Fall 2020, both cancelled due to COVID-19
- 32nd Art In The Workplace Juried Exhibit, Winter-Spring 2021, McMaster Innovation Park
- Momentum – Solo Show, February 2020, The Hub at Burlington Centre
- The Artist’s Mark Juried Show, January 2020, The Hub at Burlington Centre
- Small Is Beautiful, November 2019, Art Gallery of Burlington
- Annual Art Auction, April 2019, Dundas Valley School of Art